It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

Midi and media manager 

Post Midi and media manager
Dear members,

thank you for this forum,

i have two questions:
1. how to assign a certain video to a midi pad, in other words how to control media manager via midi?
2. can i assign a preset to a midi controller? for a example i want an effect to apply to a certain layer when i press a specific button on the midi controller!

is there any documentation other than the help file about midi control ?
and what do you advice as midi controller to use with hippo ? for VJaying applications!

thank you guys..

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:14 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Midi and media manager
Hello!

1. how to assign a certain video to a midi pad, in other words how to control media manager via midi?

First time you will see a window where you specify your controller, after that it is " learning mode".

Once you have added the midi component on the Hippotizer, Open the midi2 component, you will be presented with the following window which has Simple, Advanced and Expert Tabs.make the connection with new pin, move your fader and there you are!

the configuration,
2. can i assign a preset to a midi controller? for a example i want an effect to apply to a certain layer when i press a specific button on the midi controller!
You can do a lot, for presets you should place your presets on a timeline and control the positions by midi. Zok ( member here) are a great virtous on
midi control, hope that he can give you some deeper info hopefully.

Controlling timelines from MIDI is a very powerful feature. You can trigger complete shows, or just a
single effect animation this way.
This section explains how you setup you MIDI component to trigger timelines, allowing you to jump and
play any cue on a timeline.
You need 4 MIDI controller channels to control the timeline component. These 4 controllers will be
assigned to:
 Select Timeline ID
 Select Timeline Command
 CueHigh
 CueLow
Note: As you add them you will be prompted to assign them to midi commands from your controller. You
can use the MIDI Learn feature to do this. If you are not sure of the exact assignments don’t worry you
can change these by double clicking and selecting Midi Learn again.
Select Timeline ID (TimelineID)
The timeline select channel selects which timeline is controlled. This is defined by the ID number entered
in the Timeline component. By default this ID is empty, so you need to give it an ID number (open the
timeline component and enter a unique ID for all the timelines you wish to control via MIDI). These can
be integers (whole numbers) from 0-127. If no ID is set, then the timeline cannot be controlled via MIDI.
Below is an example of a timeline with 100 as its ID.
Select Timeline Command (CommandID)
The following ranges trigger these commands:
0-9: Nothing
10-19: Play
20-29: Pause
30-39: Stop
40-49: GoCue and Play
50-59: Go Cue and Pause

CueHigh and CueLow
These two controller channels make up the optional Cue part of the last 2 commands. CueHigh addresses
the full CueNumbers, CueLow the decimal places.
Examples:
Timeline 1 play-> ctrl1: 001, ctrl2: 015
Timeline 15 stop -> ctrl1: 015, ctrl2: 035
Timeline 3, Goto Cue 23 and Play: ctrl1: 003, ctrl2: 45, ctrl3:23, ctrl4: 000
Timeline 8, Goto Cue 12.4 and Stop: ctrl1: 008, ctrl2: 55, ctrl3:12, ctrl4: 40

note:You need to add a TimelineControlString component
The MIDI component cannot talk directly to the Timeline Component, so it needs a TimelineControlString
component to translate.
To add a TimelineControlString component, click on “more...” on your host, then select “Manage Host”.
Go to the Tab components and click the “Add..” button at the bottom of the page. Select the
TimelineControlString component from the list, click ok and give it a name.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am
Profile E-mail

You have the manual, there is a good chapter about midi, read that and you can see how it works.
The Behringer is low cost and pretty good, I use that but I am sure that you can use it better then me with more knowledge.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:58 am

Thank you for your reply,
but i didnt really get the answer for media manager,, i want to use a midi controller with pads to select media from media manager,,,
is that doable ?

and another question, can i assign effects to buttons on midi controller ?

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

i want to use a midi controller with pads to select media from media manager,,,
is that doable ?

Since it is very easy to assign a fader to select any media in a bank, or select banks, you have the positions in that level ( 0-255)
to apply just one value to one selected " pad" on your midi board maybe is not working, since you have to specify a certain value
to hit right clip to each pad...we do this here with a touchscreen, som much easier.

and another question, can i assign effects to buttons on midi controller ?
Yes, whatever the level is then maybe 100% direct so maybe you need to select if you need the amount of the effect ( a fader?)
and if you are applying it on the master output or just that layer??

In short terms a touchscreen ( and a midi pad) is great combination.
Hope it´s help a little bit...

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 am
Profile E-mail

Thank you pepe,
i am using a touchscreen.. it is very good to use it !

but my problem is the following:

when i want to assign a level to a fader in a midi i go and press midi learn and it works..

but how do i specify to midi to select movie from media manager, in other words when i press choose pin in midi component window i can chose what level to control but i cant chose anything from media manager.. there is only media manager..

can you take me screenshots? will it be possible ? thankyou !

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 pm
Profile E-mail

This is done by selecting mediaselect AND the you see that you have a choice of lsb OR msb, this is either the bank OR the files, try them

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:37 pm