It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Metadata for Contentlibrary 

Post Metadata for Contentlibrary
Hello all,

i hope you had a good start into 2009. I am working in our editing and storagesoftware with metadata and i really get used to it because it helps a lot to organize my workflow faster. In Aftereffects and Premiere they use a xmp - metadatamodul (i guess) and all this data stays connected within the whole adobe-sw-family, it also works with our cms in our company and is easy to edit. There are two benefits : 1. SEARCH and
FIND : You can categorize and tag your content by watching it and adding keywords. That helps to find all "suns" or "stars" or whatever easily while the designer sits with you. 2. Technicaldocumentation : informations like digitalcameras add to your metdata can help you later to analyze the look of your shots but there are also informations like the date of shooting or producing and this information stays the whole process with my file. Until i import this file into the mediaserver. ... and thats the point why i write this here.

what do you think ?

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Metadata for Contentlibrary
Hi Jan!
Have you seen or tested Final Cut Server?
FCS lets you describe media and projects the way you want to, using just the metadata you need. You can quickly choose from predefined tags or create your own custom fields. You can also group fields in tabbed arrangements to fit your workflow. Production team members can easily add or update the content of metadata fields by making selections from pop-up menus or typing into text fields etc....

We are slowly looking into this solution, but as you say, having Hippo reading this as well should be great..but I donĀ“t know if this is FCS only or Adobe xmd is working smooth together and working seamless with PC / Mac....

but as they write:
"As part of the cataloging process, Final Cut Server extracts and captures most forms of industry-standard metadata, including QuickTime, IPTC, XMP, and XML data. This saves hours of potential data entry during cataloging. A powerful mapping algorithm lets you translate metadata from different formats to provide consistent information across the catalog. You can also add metadata to each item after it is captured in the catalog."

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Metadata for Contentlibrary
Jan and Pepe,
One of the key features of the MediaManager when it was written was to support this kind of functionality. But it's never really been developed. I think that because most Hippotizer owners until recent years were owner-operators who just built up a library and left it there we had little call for the functionality. However, now that larger organisations such as Procon are regular users and would like to see integration maybe we'll kick start it again.

Next week, we're off to a house in the middle of nowhere to discuss the year ahead (we call it HippoCon this year - a fancy name for 15 geeks in a building!) and I'm planning to run a discussion on feature requests and I will probably look into the feature request lists found here too. I'm not a programmer so I will not promise the above is 100% correct but I'll throw it into the arena next week.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:44 pm
Profile E-mail