It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Green Hippo announces new high-performance hardware 
Site Admin

Post Green Hippo announces new high-performance hardware
Green Hippo announces new high-performance hardware for Hippotizer and special trade–in policy.

Green hippo has begun shipping all Hippotizer HDs with extensive hardware revisions enabling radical performance gains for the award-winning media server range. Based around Intel’s i7 processors the revisions harness the processors unrivalled power and work in conjunction with version 3.0.14’s new software Playback Engine from the London based company. The i7-based servers are significantly faster and allow for more video playback layers. Previous machines ran between 2-5 layers depending on the specification and the age of the unit whilst the new i7 based units are capable of 8 layers of full HD playback simultaneously. **

“We’ve always implemented hardware revisions unannounced as a matter of course but the gains from i7 are too significant to be seen as a progression ; it’s more of a milestone” says James Ross Heron from Green hippo. “Several other revisions have coincided with the new software perfectly and users will see a quantifiable performance gain, especially in jobs utilising our built in encoder and split media rendering such as UberPan projects.”

Johan West of West Lighting, Finland recently received shipment of an i7 based machine and is completely converted “The differences between the previous HD and the i7 HD are remarkable! It’s so much faster especially with regards to media decoding. It’s given Hippotizer the edge in the server world and it’s pretty amazing what you can do with it. It’s opened up host of new possibilities for what I can do with these servers”

Other features in Hippotizer 3.0.14 software include support for EMS’ iVu4 2x2 video wall controllers allowing 2 of these devices to be driven by the outputs of a Hippotizer HD providing 8 screen feeds of 1024 x 768 each. Used in conjunction with the latest VideoMapper plugin, the machines can freely place and rotate any of the outputs within the playback canvas and hence gives tremendous freedom to design and deliver new staging concepts with reduced hardware costs.

From May 1st all Hippotizer HD machines will ship with i7 processors and for those customers that already own a Hippotizer HD V3 an upgrade path will be offered, allowing them to takefull advantage of the new hardware at a reduced price. Green Hippo are also offering a global trade-in offer for older machines, so even customers with V2 units can benefit from the latest technology at a recession-busting price with additional discounts offered on any units traded in for new i7 machines.
“These gains are too great to limit them to future owners so we’ve decided to allow existing users to share in the performance gains via trade-in. We think it’s only fair that those who’ve championed our products should share in the ability to have Hippotizers fly on their shows!” says Heron.

For full details on upgrades and pricing please contact your local distributor.

** Based on 3.0.14 beta version running standard 1920x1080 content at 100% speed on a single HD output

Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Green Hippo announces new high-performance hardware
And then to be clear about the difference between upgrade and trade in is:

Upgrade- V3 R2 chassi ( new case units with serials from 2100-2999) 1 year age of unit at a price, also V3 R2 with serials 2000-2099 that is 2 years age of unit with
a little higher price.

Trade in- V2 / V3 units (Red old chassi) at 3 steps of discount for a new I7 R2 unit. up to 3 years, up to 4 years and over 4 years age of units.
The three different discounts is 20-15-10% on listprice (10% for a unit that are over 4 years. 15% up to 4 years and 20% on a unit that are up to 3 years)

If you are fine with your unit, you don´t really need to do this swap, your HD is still the same workhorse as before....

Tue May 18, 2010 5:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Will the Critters also be fitted with i7 processors later on??

Tue May 25, 2010 4:47 pm
Site Admin

Hi, not really i7 processors.
The problem still is having HQ boards that fit the processors just still have one network port so this is not
technical possible right now. Maybe , just maybe after 3-4 month maybe and that will then maybe go for i3 or i5 processors if right hardware shows up.

Green Hippo people is always working for the future, be sure of that. But changing hardware in the same speed as the gaming market or home market
is not the best idea for a system that is what Critter is.

As new hardware all the time is flooding out, things goes old after 3 minutes, you always should focus on:
"Is my set up / Hardware doing the job for me as I expect right now?", then all the fantastic new stuff maybe, just maybe will
make things better.....

You are not reading a .doc document faster on a i7 super laptop with HD screen, then you do on your old one...if you get me right!!

Wed May 26, 2010 12:29 pm
Profile E-mail