It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

Matrox TripleHead2Go / DualHead2Go 
Site Admin

Post Matrox TripleHead2Go / DualHead2Go
Run two or three independent monitors from a laptop or desktop computer even if that system only supports a single monitor output.
Really cool if you run ZooKeeper on a laptop ( with a proper graphic card) or run a Hippo with 3 outputs from one DVI
Available in digital or analog editions.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Matrox TripleHead2Go / DualHead2Go
Hope I can ask this,
Can I have 2 of the "triplehead to go" and have one one each output ( DVI) ?
so then to have 6 outputs in total!
How big can I them make the outputs ( each of them) ? in pixels the output.
Do I then get the analog or digital version, what is best??

I am thinking of get a Hippotizer soon and maybe the new versions or do I have to have the big ones ( HD / Stage)?
I now have Arkaos system and I did see the Hippo on the NOTT Riksteatern show and was very impressed what you can do!!!
So I will contact you soon!!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:15 pm
Site Admin

Yes, as I been informed, the 3.1 version are now tested with 2 TripleHead2Go, one on each output.
The resolution are in the settings of the software from Matrox, you will find the different settings there.

We have tested DualHeadToGo, we had some problems to use one on each output, Still Johan West (Finland reatiler at West Lighting) are using this and are getting this to work great!

The digital edition is what I have, if this works on the analog version I don´t know, but since you have
DVI from the Hippo, the best choice is to use the digital edition! if your output will be DVI ( analog will just work with VGA screens)

They support 4080 x 768 (3 x 1360 x 768) so it will be very good resolution still!!

Just contact me, I will help you out in your questions regarding Hippos!!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Will this work on the HippoCritter??

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:45 pm
Site Admin

Hi!
To be clear about this thrd Party option, This is a add-on and nothing that will be covered by any support from Hippo.
This products is cool but as the resolution has to be at least 1024x768 it is for the moment the HD that can take advantage of this.
Otherwise you will have 4 screens at 512 x something and thats maybe not the quality you need.

It´s a heck to make it work the first time, after that you understand the connections between display properties, Matrox app and so , you
will get it to work. It is two outputs, so HippoCritter with one output.......No!

One important thing to remember: use a USB hub for the powerfeed to the DHTGO, otherwise the lack of power for them make the
strangest thing to happen!!

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi There,

I'm Menno Broere from Jurlights in the Netherlands. In the end of november we have a project with a projection screen of 20m x 4m using four barco R12's or three R18's. We can do this with a Barco blend pro / Vista Spider but the best is to do it with the Hippotizer because we have two HD versions in stock.

The only problem is the blend and content sharing if you connect two hippotizers together with each two outputs. We heard from the guys of Hippotizer that they are making a component named: Uberpan. But i think this is not ready before the end of November.

We read about the option of a Triple head or Dual head matrox card to make this work. Is this a good solution? Can you run 8 layers without slowing down? How do you manage the content? What are the good and bad points about this? and how are the experiences with bigger resolutions?

We can do the the projection with 1x Matrox Triple head in Single mode or 2x Double heads in PAN Mode.

Menno.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi There,
I'm Menno Broere from Jurlights in the Netherlands.

Hello Menno! The Tripleheads will work with 3 outputs from each output from the Hippo, The biggest resolution is something at 3800 x 1024 that are splitted to the three outputs of course, In the V3.0.12 you have a "effect" that are called dualsoft pan that will give you the option to softedge the three outputs. As the Uberpan will be in the release of V3.1 ( and, as you say maybe not ready before november)...
You will not get any performance loss, you can run 8 layers, all depending on how many HD´s, etc,etc. The Hippo HD can run 4 1920x1080 layers before it start to protest!
The content can not be bigger then 1920x1080, otherwise you have to split them ( and of course then you will loose "free" layers)
When we are using them, we often run in dual output mode, if you run in Pan mode you have to make a trick with the xml files to fool the Hippo to run in a "single" mode.
I am not the best man to tell you about that ( the superman from Finland, Johan West is the "brainer" regarding that stuff)

Also make notice that the Dual heads are running VGA > 2x DVI, the Triples are DVI>3x DVI (digital edition only)

Hope this was useful info for you

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi Peppe,

Thanks for the fast responds. I think this gonna be great. Next week we have to buy one tripple head en do some serious test. The content can be bigger then 1920x1080. The Horizontal resolution is endless (They say). But the Vertical resolution hase a limit of 1080.

Mpeg 2 has the limit of 1920x1080. but if you make your content in quicktime format you can upload movie's larger then 1920.

The other option is to do the blend with 4 projectors in Pan mode with 2 dual heads. Has anyone tride that option yet?

thanks for the info!

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail

I have tried this but not in a live situation, I just tried setting the system up with 2 TrippleHead2Go in what I would describe as not real pan mode :) . The thing is that you have to rename and copy some files and the guy to talk to is Johan West in Finland. I could probably talk you trough it if I was sitting with a hippo in front of me , Johan knows this stuff much better then me. ;) I would not try doing it running on DMX.
But for sure there is a way to get Keystone and all the other key functions on each output with dualhead, using this method, but it takes some patience. :)

Morgan

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail

hi there everyone involved in this discussion.

The max content resolution in a Hippo HD is 1920 x 1080, that is the limitation for the encoder software that is built into the Hippo so contentwise you cant go over that.

I also saw some Critter questions...max output from a HippoCritter is 1024x768 so no use for a dualhead or triple on that....the critter is awesome btw...

I use both dual heads and tripleheads.
I have permanent installations and tours out with both versions, also setups with one dualhead per output running truepixel 3840x1080 (2x1920x1080).
GFX cards in use are those old 1950pro so it doesnt need to be the newest gfx card either.
Just give yourself some time to install all needed drivers and test all setups before you go out on tour..
Do all settings through your Hippo Engine, dont care about the gxm software, it will only confuse you..

I have at the moment a tour running with 6 outputs from 2 Hippos, the nice thing with those Matrox things is that the Hippo thinks that there is a display connected, so you wont get stuck with engine not starting up the layer encoders allthough you dont have any projectors connected.
However, sometimes some strange things happends, I have one system that refuses to start if you have something connected to the dualheads during startup, works well with nothing connected, I have not figured out yet what is going on.

Another nice thing with Matrox Triplehead digital is that it is capable of sending out both analog and digital signal at the same time, for an example, I have a theatre installation, a Hippo HD with a triplehead that is running a Sanyo projector over DVI, an shitold Barco over VGA and a plasma with HDMI...3 different formats and have worked every day since I set it up. Output resolution is 3072x768 on a old X1950Pro gfx card, just needed to update the driver ATI ccc driver and the triplehead aswell needed some updating..

Johan

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:07 pm
Profile E-mail